Within the CRM Group, the functionalisation of metallic substrates through innovative coatings and surface treatments is achieved by making the best selection in a wide choice of substrates, coating technologies and coating materials (see hereunder).
Beyond the expertise and know-how of our R&D teams, a wide range of tailored equipment is available internally for such developments, covering both surface treatments and coating characterisation in sizes ranging from laboratory to pilot scale. This ensures offering the best solutions to meet the deployment requirements of our research partners.
A special focus can be put on plasma and vacuum treatments, which can either be used for surface preparation (through etching or DBD-Dielectric Barrier Discharge) or for the manufacturing of micrometric coatings (through evaporation, including JVD-Jet Vapour Deposition) as well as for surface functionalisation through nanometric deposits (using technologies such as CVD-plasma-assisted Chemical Vapour Deposition).
An outline of achieved surface functionalities is given in the following list:
- Passivation, protection against corrosion, substitution of chromium treatments
- Improved mechanical properties: hardness, scratch resistance, erosion and wear resistance, friction, self-lubrication, formability
- Conversion, adhesion promoters
- Easy or self-cleaning
- Anti-microbial, anti-soiling, anti-fingerprint, anti-graffiti
- Environment (active surfaces for air or water depollution)